I’m writing this short post to wrap up my bachelor life here
in California. Betsy arrives on Saturday!
Much of my time and about 99 percent of my energy since the
last post has been devoted to reaching, but failing to climb, Mt. Tyndall and
Mt. Williamson.
There are routes to the summits of both peaks that are, in
theory, well within my capabilities and experience and I made an arduous
three-day, 28-mile hike with an elevation gain of 7,500 feet carrying a heavy
pack to reach the base of Mt. Tyndall at the top of 12,000-foot Shepherd Pass,
which is steep and still covered in snow requiring crampons and ice ax to
negotiate the final 500 feet of gain.
The Shepherd Pass Trail might be my most demanding backpacking
experience ever.
But I got there in fine shape, the weather was great and I
had plenty of food.
Yet I passed on the mountains. Turned around and went home
empty handed.
I’m not sure exactly what my problem is. Age, anxiety,
self-doubt?
It didn’t help that I talked to a 20-something kid that
slipped descending on the slick snow near the ridge crest of Mt. Tyndall. He said
he was well on his way to oblivion until he grabbed a rock ledge and stopped the
slide. But he was ecstatic with having reached the summit.
“My first 14er,” he told me.
I had a very similar experience at very nearly the same age
(on a Colorado 13er) and have never been comfortable on the steep snow climbs. Maybe it was his
story and those memories that spooked me. Would Mt. Tyndall be my last 14er I wondered?
It also didn’t help that the handful of climbers that had used
the weekend to get there left soon after I arrived leaving me as, seemingly, the
only human being in the daunting vastness of the Pacific Crest. Maybe that was it?
Whatever the reason(s) for my discomfort it may well be that
the sentence in my obituary will have to change from; “Mr. Pasley climbed all 75
of the 14ers in the lower 48 states.” to “Mr. Pasley climbed 70 different U.S.
14ers.”
Because I was, potentially, out for so long I tried to
conserve power on electronic devices and did not take very many photos. But
here are a few of the few.
| Above Anvil Camp there are no more trees (or shade) and plenty of snow fields to negotiate. |
| It may not look like much but a trail through piles of rubble like this is a godsend, especially with a heavy pack. |
| Believe it or not this is Sequoia National Park. The eastern boundary of this vast park adjoins the even more vast Inyo National Forest near the crest of Shepherd Pass. |
| That's Mt. Williamson. |
| Descending back down the trail. |
| Still descending. |
| The Owens Valley about four miles above the trailhead. The green spot out there is the town of Independence, the Inyo County seat. |
No comments:
Post a Comment