Pages

Saturday, August 15, 2015

Split Mountain Redux



Split Mountain, August 14, 2015; California 14er #10; U.S. 14er #69



Attentive blog readers may recall my aborted attempt to climb Split Mountain on July 30/31; when I made the tough backpack on a steep use trail to Red Lake, spent a night in the tent in the rain and then pulled the plug on the summit attempt and hiked out the next day.



This second attempt at the mountain might be titled, “The Revenge of Split Mountain”; but it’s a tossup whether the exacter of that revenge was me or Split Mountain.



Ignoring my own oft-shared advice to “camp high and give yourself the best shot at the summit” I didn’t even camp at the trailhead and instead, with a bomber weather forecast, attempted to “day hike” the mountain by starting out from Bishop at about 4 a.m.



The California 14ers don’t like to be day-hiked but I did it (by the skin of my teeth): departing from the trailhead before 7 a.m. and returning to the truck after at 10:30 p.m.; a 14-mile roundtrip with an elevation gain of 7,500 feet.



What was I thinking? Well, one thing I was thinking is that I’m sick of camping out and I knew from experience how difficult it is to hike the steep trail to the logical camping area at Red Lake, carrying tent, sleeping bag, bear canister, etc.



Basically, even though I knew it was the smart way to do it, I just didn’t want to do it.



The 14.5 mile jeep trail to the trail head is rough and gets worse the further in you go. So I timed it to arrive there and start out just before dawn so that I had the morning light for the worst part of the “road”.



With just a day pack, the five-mile hike to Red Lake from the trailhead was, indeed, easier than the first trip with the big pack and I made pretty good time. From Red Lake to the summit the surface is almost entirely talus, ranging from toaster-size to Volkswagen-size. The only “break” from the talus comes on the steepest parts of the route, where it is loose, sandy scree.



The key “feature” on this “easiest” route to the summit of Split Mountain is a (thankfully) relatively-short chute or gully that is very loose and difficult but, fortunately, has some solid rock on the edges that can be used for hand-holds.


Looking down on the route, near the top of the gully.
As I approached this gully I began to check my watch with increasing frequency and engaged myself in an ongoing debate about whether or not to turn back. While the weather was perfect and not a concern it became increasingly obvious that, if I kept going, I would never get back to the truck before dark.



But I would go a little further and the gully would get a little closer. And I would talk myself into going “just a bit further”. I topped the gully at about 2:50 p.m. and was now on the broad, relatively-gentle, north slope of the mountain. I checked my altitude and saw that, ugh, I had another 800 vertical-feet of talus hopping to go. But I had come this far and, a highly motivating factor was – if I kept going – I would never have to come back again. Never have to hike to Red Lake. Never have to hop all of that talus.

The final 800 vertical feet to the top.

 An hour later I was standing on the summit.



As the videos and photos show, the summit of Split Mountain is very cool with great views all around.

My shadow, the USGS summit marker, and the view of the Owens Valley from Split Mountain.

Split Mountain's "other summit"

The following are links to videos, click to check em out.





The descent went a lot better than I thought it might. I avoided a lot of the scree by down-climbing on the solid, Class 3 rock walls of the chute/gully and the talus-hopping proved to be easier when going downhill rather than up (which, in my case, is not always the case).


When I got back to Red Lake about 7:30 p.m. one option I considered was to make a camp there and finish the hike the next morning. I had plenty of food and warm clothes and there was no chance of rain. But I felt pretty good and decided to press on. So I got out my headlamp, loaded up with water from a stream below the lake and hiked the five miles out in three hours.



It is the most extensive hiking with a headlamp that I have done and, with a new moon, it was very dark. But I never lost the trail and it was a pretty cool and unique experience that I will always remember. I was surprised at how well I remembered the trail – which is not always easy to follow in daylight – and I never felt uncomfortable.



I was, however, extremely happy/relieved when I finally got back to the truck.   



At one point on the hike down I had visions of driving out and returning to Bishop to celebrate my summit of Split Mountain with some greasy tacos at the 24-hour Jack-in-the-Box.



But by the time I got to the truck that thought had vanished. I was whipped down and my interest in driving out on the jeep trail in the dark was zero, so I slept in the back of the truck (a possibility that, to my credit, I had planned for).



Instead of Jack tacos I celebrated by plopping into my folding chair behind the truck with a (very) warm beer and took in the amazing stars and the Milky Way in the pitch dark of the moonless night, including several meteors that streaked across the black sky. One in particular was spectacular, crossing horizontally from east to west in a bright, fiery streak that lasted several seconds. Another cool thing to see was the car lights flashing in and out high up on the road to White Mountain to the east. It took me a minute to figure it out but, as cars drive the road and make the hairpin turn, they will periodically “flash” their headlights out into the Owens Valley. I suppose my headlights were doing the same thing a month earlier on my nighttime drive home after my late-afternoon hike of White Mountain.



I am ecstatic to have gained the summit of Split Mountain, my tenth California 14er of the trip; and I’m more than happy to be finished (for now) with these rugged, challenging mountains.



When I came out here I entertained thoughts of bagging 14, or possibly even all 15, of the California 14ers on this trip. But now with advantage of hindsight, I feel very fortunate to have climbed 10 of them.



Now, with just two days left in Bishop, my next mountain to climb is to get the trailer re-packed and organized for the trip east.



Speaking of the trailer and the lovely Bishop RV “Park”, I shot the following video at 5:45 a.m. last Thursday. What a way to start the day, huh?




And, a final note from California. When I left home in June I was weighing in it at 210-212 pounds. Current weight, 198.

No comments:

Post a Comment